Eligibility To Register
Chapter 97 of the Florida Statutes governs the qualifications and registration of voters in the state of Florida.
To be eligible to register and vote in Taylor County, Florida, you must be
- 18 years of age (A person may pre-register on or after their 16th birthday, but must be 18 to vote.)
- a citizen of the United States
- a legal resident of Florida
- a legal resident of Taylor County
The following persons are not entitled to register or to vote:
- Persons adjudicated mentally incompetent with respect to voting, who have not had their competency restored pursuant to law
- Persons convicted of a felony, whose civil rights have not been restored. If you have been convicted of a felony and have not had your rights restored, review the clemency information online.
Types of Identification
According to Florida Statute 101.043, the following forms of identification shall be considered current and valid if they contain the name and photograph of the applicant and have not expired:
- Florida Driver's License
- Florida ID Card issued by the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles
- United States Passport
- Debit or Credit Card
- Military ID
- Student ID
- Retirement Center ID
- Neighborhood Association ID
- Public Assistance ID (Social Security or other social services)
- Veteran Health ID issued by the United States Department of Veterans Affairs
- A license to carry a concealed weapon or firearm issued pursuant to S. 790.06.
- Employee ID issued by any branch, department, agency, or entity of the Federal Government, the state, a county, or a municipality.
If you vote at the polls, and cannot show picture and signature identification, you must vote a provisional ballot.
First Time Voters
If you registered by mail and are a first time voter in Florida and you have not been issued a current and valid Florida driver’s license, Florida identification card, or social security number, you must provide a copy of a current and valid identification. If you requested a vote by mail ballot, and have not provided the required identification, you must include a copy of the required identification with your returned vote by mail ballot.
You are exempt from this requirement if you meet any of the following:
- 65 Years of age or older
- Permanent or temporary physical disability
- Members of the uniformed service on active duty who are absent from the county on election day
- Members of the merchant marine who are absent from the county on election day
- Spouse or dependent of member, who is accompanying member
- Overseas citizen eligible to vote in Florida
Deadline to Register
The deadline to register to vote is 29 days before any election. You can update your registration record at any time, but for a Primary Election, party changes must be completed 29 days before that election. You will be contacted if your new application is incomplete, denied or a duplicate of an existing registration. Your Voter Information Card will be mailed to you once you are registered.
If you were unable to find the information you were looking for, be sure to look through our Frequently Asked Questions - Florida Division of Elections section of our website.